Okay okay, not going to lie…I’m not the biggest fan of South Indian Cuisine. Having said that, I do like to experiment and have a go at least making things purely because of my Mum, she’s a fan!
You’ll come to know I despise waiting, I am that person who is always looking for shortcuts without compromising on the taste.
- 1 Cup Rice Flour
- 1/3 Cup Black Gram Flour/Urad Flour
- 1+1/2 Tbsp Yogurt
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Salt
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp ENO + Lemon Juice to activate it (optional)
- Ginger & Green Chilli Paste (optional)
- Coriander Chutney (optional)
- Finely Chopped Onions & Carrots (optional)
- Tadka (optional)
- In a bowl add:
Rice Flour, Black Gram Flour, Yogurt, Salt, Sugar and any optional items.
- Add the Water bit by bit, the batter shouldn’t be thick nor too thin. (if you think it needs more Water now is the time to add)
- Let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat water in a steamer and grease Idli moulds.
- Add the ENO and Lemon Juice to the batter and whisk.
- Pour batter into moulds.
- Steam on high heat for 15 minutes.
- Take out the Idli plates and let them cool down for 5 minutes.
- With a knife, take out the Idlis
They’re ready to Eat, Share and Enjoy.
And there you have it, soft spongy Idlis, enjoy it with Sambhar, Chutney or you can even cut them up into little pieces and Stir Fry them!