This is actually a dish that hails from Maharashtra, and is usually found with Onions too which is called Kanda Poha. It’s super quick and easy to make, not to mention really tasty too! Every household has their own way of making this dish and you can easily transform this dish and make it a little more healthier by adding Veggies of your choice or/and Beans or Chickpeas.
This has got to be my go to dish whether it’d be in the Morning or Lunch.
I was in a rush the day I made it hence couldn’t measure anything! Keep an eye out as I will update this with measurements very soon!
- Flattened Rice (Poha)
- Mustard Seeds
- Cumin Seeds
- Curry Leaves (optional)
- Potatoes cubed (I prefer to cube them small, so they cook quicker)
- Turmeric Powder
- Salt to Taste
- Ginger Paste to Taste
- Garlic Paste to Taste
- Green Chilli Paste to Taste
- Sesame Seeds (optional)
- Sugar (optional)
- Lemon Juice
- Coriander finely chopped
- Pepper cubed
- Carrot cubed
- Red Kidney Beans
- In a pan add the Oil
- Once the Oil is hot go ahead and add the Mustard Seeds, let them crackle and dance around then add the Cumin Seeds and let them too sizzle on the dance floor.
- Now lower the gas and add in the Aesofetida
- Add in the cubed Potatoes (or the Veggies/Beans/Chickpeas of your choice) Turmeric and Salt and give everything a good mix.
- Cover and cook on low-medium for 4-5 minutes stirring in between.
- Add in Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilli Paste, Sugar (optional) also Sesame Seeds (optional) mix everything up and cover and cook for a further 4-5 minutes until the Potatoes are soft and easily breakable with a spoon. Be sure not to over cook them, you don’t want them mushy!
- Add the dried Flattened Rice (Poha) into a big strainer and wash well. The aim here is to just rinse them and make sure there’s no dirt or hidden treasure also add moisture to them, hydrate them.
- Once the Potatoes are cooked go ahead and add in the Flattened Rice (Poha)
- Cover and cook for a couple of minutes as the moist Poha will help produce a bit of steam.
- After a couple of minutes open it up and taste everything make sure it’s just right for your palate, also check if it isn’t too dry, if it is all you need to do is add a little bit of Water, close the lid as this will provide more steam.
- When it’s done, turn off the gas and finish it off with a squeeze of Lemon and some finely chopped Coriander.
It’s ready to Eat, Share and Enjoy.